Sunday, June 1, 2014

Oh, Eris ...


If I dood it, I get a whippin' ... I dood it!

It's easy to make fun of fundamentalist Christian aesthetics, but they don't have a monopoly on bad taste -- there are just a lot of them out there.  But I think one ought to notice the same lapses everywhere, including the village-atheist material that recycles nineteenth-century freethinkers' mistakes and irrationality, or gay males' bad taste.  And yes I agree that good taste is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm the beholder here, okay?

So a gay neopagan Facebook friend posted the above image today, helping out an artist whose work he likes.  Artwork, along with animal rescue material, constitutes a lot of what he posts there, and many of the works he touts are, in my opinion, beautiful.  Not this one.  I feel just a bit bad about mocking it, which is why I'm not linking to the source.  (If you disagree and think it's lovely and want to contact the artist to order a purple pentacle of your own, send me e-mail and I'll reply with a link.  I won't mock you.  To each his or her own.  But I still think it's tacky.)