Thursday, July 21, 2011

The People's Democratic Republic of Luna

One of the latest viral memes is this photo from China:

It's drawn a lot of attention in the West, like this article at Salon by Drew Grant, "North Korea, most of Asia terrible at Photoshop." They're not too terrible, since the North Korean photo Grant reproduces was picked up by the Associated Press and only disavowed a day later.

Not only that, but Chinese Photoshop mavens (among others) are playing with the image, showing that "Asia" is pretty good at Photoshop; just not its governments. I especially like this one, which shows how levitation is really done:

I'm also partial to this one, from the same source:

But now I'm reminded of a photograph of alleged Sandinista or Salvadoran rebel atrocities from the 1980s that was picked up by US media and continued to run even after it had been discredited. I'll have to see if I can track it, or at least the story, down.

By the way, it looks like I've passed the 1000-post mark. Just sayin'.