Monday, July 14, 2014

He's Tanned, He's Rested, He's Painting


Somehow I got onto the Republican National Committee's e-mail list, and lately, as the 2016 election season progresses, they've started sending me stuff.  White people with strange names, like Reince Priebus, have been most prominent, but now an Irishwoman named Katie Walsh is getting into the act.  (Who says the GOP has no traction with minorities?)  Today Katie's communication was like so: 
Friend,

Did you order your official “I Miss W.” t-shirt?

The RNC proudly created this American-made t-shirt in honor of President George W. Bush.

We miss the days of good Republican leadership—and we miss President George W. Bush....
Were there days of "good Republican leadership"?  And what do you mean "we," O white woman? 

I must confess, though, I'm tempted to order one of these.  If only it didn't entail giving money to the Republican Party!  All the offers to buy a $3 chance for dinner with Barack Obama in 2008 and 2010 and 2012 didn't persuade me to give a penny to the Democrats, and yet a t-shirt is an inducement with a little staying power to it.

And in a way, I do miss Dubya.  Those were the days, when international aggression and torture and illegal domestic surveillance got Democrats all riled up.  (Not bank bailouts, though; those are sacred to the leadership of both parties.)  Once a Democrat moved into the White House, these offenses became not just tolerable but laudable, even necessary.

But no.  I will be strong.  I can resist anything except temptation.  Maybe I can steal one from the back of a truck or something.