Thursday, October 15, 2020

Get Your Park Geun-hye Tote Bag with Your Pledge

Recently YouTube has been sending a trove of vintage Korean TV music programs my way, from the 60s through the 80s.  They offer a whole extra perspective on Korean society and entertainment in the darkest years of the Park and Chun dictatorships.

This one is different, but it especially delighted me: it reminds me of PBS pledge drives that put elderly classic rock stars up there to bring in the bucks.  I remember when WTIU first showed Woodstock during pledge drive: the hosts were very apologetic, and looked terrified that their regulars would burn the station down.  They got record donations instead. The fall of Western culture followed immediately.

I recognize the first song in this clip, but I don't remember where I heard it. In a movie, I think, but which one: Waikiki Brothers? GoGo 70? Miss Granny?

And why does the singer, Ham Chung Ah, look like former South Korean president Park Geun-hye?  (A Korean friend agreed with me on this.)  Old Korean men often dye their hair black -- I was planning to do it myself on my next trip -- but I think we're looking at hairpieces here.