Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Deafening Response

I wanted to stop writing about Campaign Hell 2012, but then there was this.
If they want to be about fear we must be about hope.

If they want to live a life of paranoia we must not be fearful of embracing that which we might be afraid.

If they want to be about hate then we must stand up for compassion.

If they want to take us backwards we must push forward.

If they want to shout their ignorance towards us we must ensure our response is deafening.

If they want to destroy this country we must make damn sure we stop them.

November 6, 2012... Vote.
One of the comments deserves mention too:
I may not agree with Obama on everything he says or does, but I love his sense of fun and humor!!
Yes, he's a laugh riot:
Jonas brothers are here, they're out there somewhere. Sasha and Malia are huge fans, but boys, don't get any ideas. Two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I'm joking?
I know, that was two years ago, and we must look to the future, not the past.  But nothing I've heard since then gives me reason to think Obama has a sense of humor.  Which I'm not sure is a necessary qualification for the presidency, but I digress.

Back to the first text I quoted, though.  If not for the friend who linked to it, and the comments, I wouldn't be sure it was a Democratic product; it could just as easily be a Tea Party meme.  But the most notable thing about it is that, no matter which party emitted it, it applies equally well to both.  The Obama campaign is certainly appealing to fear and even paranoia: OMG, Romney will destroy the country, we have to stop him at any cost!  OMG, the Romney campaign has raised more money than the President has!  If Romney is elected all our rights will be taken away!  Millions will die immediately when Romney abolishes Health Care!  (Has anyone else noticed how ready Democrats are to believe Romney's campaign promises?)  The Dems have also shown themselves willing to meet "their ignorance" with a deafening response of their own ignorance.

I must say, though, that I don't think "we must not be fearful of embracing that which we might be afraid" makes much sense.  On its face it seems to mean that Democrats should not be fearful of embracing the Republicans, and I doubt that was intended.  But this text is a good example of what happens when people get caught up in the excitement of a campaign and lose what rationality they had to begin with, which in most cases was not much.