Monday, July 28, 2008

They Don't Make Nostalgia Like They Used To

Sorry, still too busy to write at any length. So here are two videos (and yes, I know, if I have time to surf YouTube I have time to write about Noam Chomsky). One's by the Korean pop group Jaurim, one of my current K-pop favorites. A couple of years ago they put out a CD mostly of covers of 70s and 80s American pop, sung in English. So when I saw the title of this song, I hoped they were going to do the same with the 60s:



Alas, no. Great video, though, and a good song. Imagine Jaurim performing Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride."



I remember people commenting on the bass player's fashion choices even in the 60s. One commenter on YouTube says, "One guy looks like he's wearing a dress!" I can understand someone making that mistake in the 60s, but if it were a dress it would be a muumuu. It looks to me like a djellaba. Granted, the boy is trying to look fey in his closeups, but mostly he just looks stoned. Nice head nudging between him and lead singer John Fay, though, whose sexiness I didn't appreciate when I was a teenager.

And now I need to get back to reading Joanne Passet's Sex Variant Woman: The Life of Jeannette Howard Foster, which I'd like to finish tonight if I can.